:: reads + An Architecture of the Ozarks: The Works of Marlon Blackwell

BOOYEAH MOTHERFLUFFERS, THIS MAN WILL FILL YOUR HEART IF YOU LIKE WOOD. I picked this book up when I went to my Central when I was actually supposed to be picking up books about something completely different.. But, I mean, who could let up a good book about minimalistic architecture involving WOOD. Seriously though people, as you have probably figured out, I am a big fan of light-brown woods, particularly cedar, used in architecture.

My favourite picks from the plans and building shared in The Ozarks was the Keenan TowerHouse, Arkansas House, and the Srygley Office Building (but only when illuminated.)

Here's Keenan:


HOW FREAKING PERFECT IS THIS?! Wood, an elevator, one simple room, and you get to see everything happening around you! Also a very good spot to have in case of a zombie apocalypse. Love it.

Next is Arkansas:

Not as big of a fan of this one because of it's size... I prefer smaller studio spaces. Maybe if I had peeps to live with, or if a family comes into play... But on my own? Not a chance. I got this in a lottery and I'd be selling it off, easy. Well. Maybe. It's pretty damn beautiful. And look at that wood! LOL

Here we have the ILLUMINATED Srygley:
There was actually a nicer picture of this in the actual book. It's 10x more gorgeous there because it just bursts with linear beams of light and it's at a much darker level of night. Ah wellz.

Here's Mr. Blackwell's firm website: YEUH BUDDAY.

Some of these designs weren't in the book I was reading, so based on the website, here are my added favourites:

CABINS AT FALLINGWATER HNGGGGGGGGGG!!! WOWOWOW, freaking genius. And the name is pretty legit too, wah!
I

I am in absolute love with minimalism, both in architecture, in art, and in life. Another thing I find that I absolutely adore apart from the clever arrangement of wood and wooden beams is the use of glass walls. It has to be walls with me for some reason-- windows just don't compare hahaha! But yes, windows that are open to seeing a cityscape, or more, trees, or even more, THE SKY. Like the above. Perfection, man.


And yep yep, that's it for not. Shud probably go study for the accounting final that I'm going to rulez tmr :-)

later days,

- j

This entry was posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply